[wisb] Sora and Pileated Woodpecker, Town of Lebanon, Dodge County

  • From: "Eileen Worman" <eileenworman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 08:35:53 -0500

During our usual early morning bird-watching in our yard today, my husband and
I were happy to hear a Sora calling. We had one or two back in late June and
much of July, but this is the first for the fall migration.
The bigger thrill for us though, was our very first sighting of a Pileated
Woodpecker, who flew into our yard from the south, noisily calling all the way
as it landed somewhere in our stand of Aspen Trees. It stayed for about five
minutes, loudly announcing that it was about to leave as it headed north from
our place. This is a life bird for the both of us and was quite exciting. The
Pileated Woodpecker brings our yard list to 124 species. Fourteen species were
new to our yard this year, so far.
We still have a group of eight young Wood Ducks on our ponds and although the
Orchard Orioles have left, we are still going through lots of grape jelly for
our lingering Baltimore Orioles.
Eileen Worman Town of Lebanon, Dodge County