[wisb] Re: Song Sparrow Song Diversity

  • From: "Terri Welisek" <terriw@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <pastoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mnbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:38:27 -0500

According to Donald Kroodsma 'The Singing Life of Birds' (my favorite
birding book of all), the young song sparrow learns his repertoire over a
full year from several adults near where he settles, occasionally even
blending versions from more than one singing male. Kroodsma devotes many
pages to the variations in songs with most males utilizing 8 to 11 songs. I
recently listened to a Song Sparrow in northern Michigan that I joked had a
'yooper' accent as his main tune was missing a couple repetitions on a
single note but was still quite clearly a song sparrow.

Good Birding,

Terri Welisek
Sherwood, WI
Calumet County