[wisb] Snowy Owl count 2005-2006 in WI

  • From: Buboarcto@xxxxxxx
  • To: calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Doorcobirding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2011 22:55:11 -0500 (EST)

Jesse:

That is a great map you made of the Snowy Owls to date.  I bet there  will
be more of these birds since surely the food sources have failed  them up
north again.

Here is a paragraph from the abstract of my 2006 poster for  the Owl
Festival in Minnesota:

"Gleanings from wisbirdn and other sources have tracked a total of 112
Snowy Owls in 31 Wisconsin counties between 11/17/05 and  3/15/06.  Twelve of
the owls have been identified as adult  males, the rest females and young
birds.  Two thirds of the owls have been  observed along the Great Lakes (43 in
Ashland county alone).  The remainder  were seen in Mississippi River
counties as well as inland."

Sandy Petersen, Dane and Door counties