[wisb] Snowy Owl & Gray Partridge

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Feb 2013 16:52:59 -0600

I spent part of the afternoon birding the Freedom, Green Bay and Kewaunee
areas.  Along Section Line Rd, north of Cty UU, the Snowy Owl flew up from the
side of the road, landing out in a field.  This is east of Freedom (Outagamie
co).  200+ Horned Larks were feeding along the shoulders of various roads, with
3 Lapland Longspurs (FOY) and 1 Snow Bunting mixed in with them.
At the Fox River mouth in Green Bay, besides the standard waterfowl, were 1
White Pelican, 20+ cormorants, 4 Hooded Mergansers, 10+ Lesser and 1 Greater
Scaup,1 Redhead plus 20 Bald Eagles and many Herring Gulls.

A Merlin was seen along Hwy 29 in Kewaunee co.  Along Town Hall Rd south of 29
the flock of 9 Gray Partridge were very visible on the east side of the road in
an adjacent field (where they have been all winter).  The Kewaunee harbor had a
Hooded Merganser, several Greater Scaup and 1 Lesser Scaup,  many Herring Gulls
sitting on the ice with single Great Black-backed, Glaucous and Thayer's
amongst them.  On the lake, Red-br. Mergansers and a few Long-tailed Ducks were
seen.

At my feeders, the Common Redpolls have returned, with the Hoary putting in a
rare appearance yesterday.  There has been a growing flock of Red Crossbills
appearing occasionally at my feeders and a friend's feeders.  Today about 30+
were present, the most that either of us has had so far.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton,, WI