[wisb] Snowy Owl - Dunn Co.

  • From: "Janine Polk" <dmarc-noreply@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> (Redacted sender "j_l_polk@xxxxxxxxx" for DMARC)
  • To: chippewa-valley-birding@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2015 10:01:28 -0700

In the course of doing our Dunn County birding loop yesterday, my daughter and
I stopped along B by the Walmart center so I could take a quick look at B pond.
 As I pulled over I glanced to my right and spotted.....a Snowy Owl perched on
the fence right by our car!  I think this bird had even fewer dark markings
than the very white Chippewa Falls bird we had seen just the day before (pics
of both on Facebook).  Neither of these owls spent the winter at these
locations, to my knowledge.

The Ring-billed Gulls are at it again and apparently will have a nesting colony
on the roof of the Walmart center, as they did last year.  After producing at
least one chick, the colony failed for unknown reasons.  Several possible
reasons for this come to mind, including heat on the metal roof (even though
last summer was relatively cool), and drastic measures by Walmart staff, which
is a distinct possibility.  I hope the gulls fare better this year; it will be
a good breeding record for the atlas in any event.

Janine Polk
Eau Claire