[wisb] Snowy Owl, Brown Co.; Golden Eagle, Kewaunee Co.

  • From: Curt Heuer <heuers3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jan 2010 15:58:04 -0600

My wife, Jeanne and son, Nathan and I took our annual January 1 birding trip
today.  We started in Green Bay at the Sanctuary - MALLARDS, BLACK DUCKS AND
CANADA GEESE in the lagoons plus a  ROUGH-LEGGED HAWK soaring over head, and
mouth of the Fox River sighting the usual suspects - BALD EAGLES, GOLDENEYES,
and a few COMMON MERGANSERS.  We then headed Southeast of New Franken to
Brown/Kewaunee Line Rd. (between Luxemburg Rd. and Humbolt Rd. (Cty N) where we
spotted a female SNOWY OWL on the west side of the road.  This is an area where
we have seen as many as four Snowys in years past.  My son got a GPS for
Christmas so we had it direct us from there to Manitowoc just to see what route
it would take us along.  We ended up on Kewaunee AB (the GPS kept calling it
Wisconsin Hwy 163) where, near Sleepy Hollow Rd. we spotted an immature GOLDEN
EAGLE hunting on a flock of Wild Turkeys in a corn field.  We were able to
watch it for 3 or 4 minutes as it bobbed and coursed over the field trying to
get an angle on the turkeys before it left off the hunt and gained some height
and headed in a southerly direction.  Cool  sighting - a life bird for me and
Jeanne.  Continuing to follow the GPS directions we ended up going through
Shoto where we spotted a female BELTED KINGFISHER near the open water below the
spillway behind the River Falls Supper Club.  The lakeshore was not nearly as
exciting - mostly HERRING GULLS and GOLDENEYES with one GREATER BLACK-BACKED
GULL at Two Rivers and a GLAUCOUS and a RING-BILLED GULL at Kewaunee.  On the
whole, not a great number of birds for the day, 35, but three exciting
sightings and a lifer to start off the year.

Curt Heuer