[wisb] Snowy Egret, Black-necked Stilts, others/Dodge County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2014 15:37:59 -0500

This morning on Old Marsh Rd. in Horicon National Wildlife Refuge, a Snowy
Egret was near the bend of the road, about 1.5 miles from the Point Road
entrance. When I last saw it at 10:30 A.M. it was still resting on a snag in
the second ditch west of the pumping station. Since I haven't seen a Snowy
Egret at this location since April 21 (I walk the road about twice a week),
I suspect this is a different bird.
I hadn't seen Black-necked Stilts since July 19, but one adult male and one
female were in the usual location, best seen by scoping south of the road
from about halfway between the bend in the road and the wooden bridge.

Other interesting birds were 3 non-breeding Trumpeter Swans, a Least
Bittern, an American Bittern, and a Black-crowned Night-Heron. I hope we
don't have an early winter because I saw families of Common Gallinules with
tiny chicks and a family of Ruddy Ducks with tiny ducklings. These must have
been very late breeders. Not a single Swamp Sparrow was detected since they
have stopped singing as have the Marsh Wrens. A single Marsh Wren came into
view, the only one detected today. I missed Yellow-headed Blackbirds and
tern numbers are way down.

Old Marsh Rd. will close to the public after August 31, so if you plan on
visiting, you have only one week.

Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County