[wisb] Snow Buntings, others/Sheboygan County

  • From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <Wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 15:59:27 -0500

There were 4 Snow Buntings on the second jetty to the south of North Point
Park this morning.
I went to Sheboygan in hopes of relocating the California Gull that Daryl
Tessen had found the other day. I didn't find the gull, but I did find
Daryl. It's always great to see Daryl when out birding, and we discussed our
sightings (Daryl mentioned that he'd seen a Northern Shrike from CTH D north
of Harrington Beach S.P.). He hadn't relocated the California Gull and had
other places to visit on his way home, but I decided to stay longer in hopes
the gull might reappear. It didn't, but a single Surf Scoter dropped in for
a short visit. Then 9 Black Scoters flew in and landed north of the point
but I was underdressed for the wind and didn't stay there long. Daryl and I
had seen a few Sanderlings, but I was surprised when an American
Golden-Plover landed on the algae mat between the two jetties south of the
park. It must have been molting its tertials because 8 primary tips were
exposed ( 4 is typical per Sibley).
This afternoon I moved to Kohler-Andrae State Park where I saw my
first-of-fall Common Goldeneyes. I was expecting a Red-throated Loon, but
had to settle for 8 distant Long-tailed Ducks, some Horned grebes and
Red-breasted Mergansers. A nice passerine flock flew into the pines near the
south beach. All I could find were Yellow-rumped Warblers, Red-breasted
Nuthatches, and Chickadees.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County