[wisb] Smith's Longspurs still there

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Apr 2014 15:00:10 -0500

Just got word that at least one Smith's Longspur still remains at the
WPA on Rutland-Dunn Town Line Rd. in Dane Co.  I definitely would NOT
recommend pulling down into the ditch after the rain yesterday if you
do go.

Joe Schaufenbuel's note about also keeping an ear peeled for
Chestnut-collared Longspurs reminds me of the very intriguing sighting I
had up at the Dane County DM & I ponds a few springs back.  I was
scoping a shorebird on the west side (which turned out to be a
Yellowlegs, as I recall,) when a sparrow-sized bird flitted through my
field of view, low to the ground.  What struck me was the amount of
white on the tail, which went quite far in towards the center, forming a
dark, inverted T on the tail.  By the time I looked up and my eyes
refocused, the bird had disappeared over the rise to the west.  I don't
recall any vocalization from it, although that's getting pretty close to
the very busy interstate.  I'll always wonder what that bird was...
Chestnut-collared would be the most likely match, in retrospect.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.