[wisb] Smith's Longspurs, Dane co.

  • From: "Steve Thiessen" <stevethiessen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisb" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 21 Apr 2014 15:51:58 -0500

 Just got back from chasing the Smith's Longspurs around. The spot is a WPA
just west of Island Lake, on Rutland-Dunn Road. Rutland-Dunn goes west off Hy
51, by Stoughton. The WPA is 1/3 mile west of Hawkinson Road,  on the southside
of the road. There is a large tree along the road, we last saw the birds 350
yards straight out. 8 of us saw the birds land one time, and headed that way
and didn't flush them, so they do run and hide out. There is a couple males (2
or 3) and 5 total birds. Earlier I saw 3 and then a group of 5 land in the
distance. 9 people got good flight views while I was there.
 Saw a probable LeConte's flush twice, but we couldn't get on it.
 Good numbers of Vesper and Savannah Sparrows.
 Yesterday I only saw 6 sparrows total, and today maybe 25-30.
 Steve Thiessen Stoughton Dane co.