[wisb] Shoveler's Sink & Horicon Marsh

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2012 18:57:02 -0500

I arrived at the Sink around 1:30.  Several birders were there enjoying the BB
Whistling Duck and Avocet.  Both put on great shows, with other birders
arriving later.  There were 8 other shorebird species also there, besides the
avocet.

I checked Horicon Marsh---Auto Tour and 49 on the way home.  Both were very
quiet.  The only shorebirds on the pond across from the red boulder were 3 Gr.
Yellowlegs.  The south pond on 49 had 9 shorebird species that included fair
numbers (100-200) of Pectoral and Least Sandpipers and Lesser Yellowlegs.
Perhaps the "best" was a White-rumped Sandpiper among the peeps.  Despite the
fact that the area got slightly less than an inch of rain this morning, there
was very limited water on the 49 south pond.  There is also good habitat on the
north side of 49 but not one shorebird could be found.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI