[wisb] Short-eared owls at Bender Park (Oak Creek)

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, flores.david84@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 11:08:02 EST

I ran into David Flores at the south end of  Bender Park (accessed via
Oakwood Drive entry) last night at dusk, and he  happily reported seeing two
hunting Short-eared Owls close to the bluff over the  lakefront.  Walking east
we refound one individual scouring the landscape  from atop a short hawthorn
tree in the meadow.  We counted two SEOWs for  the 12/18 CBC, one at Bender
and the other 3+ miles north at Grant Park, an  individual not seen since.
So, perhaps Milwaukee County Parks, and its  critically important dedicated
open space, has successfully played matchmaker in  bringing these two
together? Fortunately, as Bernie mentioned about Lakeshore  State Park
yesterday,
these lakefront areas were so scoured by the winds near  the bluffs, that
there is still open ground vegetation for easier predation by  these owls.
But, it's a good idea to use snowshoes for easier access if you go  looking.
We were there between 5-5:30, but I suspect even the owls might  be planted
in front of a screen at that hour tonight.

Betsy Abert,  So. Mke, SE Mke Co.