[wisb] Short-Eared Owls at Horicon Marsh

  • From: isaac kramer <eakbirdink@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2011 22:56:36 -0600

We planned on stopping at Horicon on our way to see the Verrmillion
Flycatcher today but ended up exploring Horicon instead. We started out at
the education center in Horicon Marsh SWA and got our first good looks of
Northern Pintails from the scope inside the building.
We then headed up to Main Dike Rd. where we spotted a Short-Eared
Owl (between the third and forth turn around areas). As we were watching we
saw a second and then a third Short-Eared Owl! As we continued observing he
flew to within 15-20 feet from our car. Watching their aerial
interaction was amazing. Got some spectacular views... unfortunately we
forgot the camera at home...
Also seen from Main Dike Rd. was an American Kestrel, Red-Tailed Hawks,
Northern Harrier, and possibly a dark morph Rough-Winged Hawk(?). For
waterfowl we only saw Mallards, Northern Shovelers, Canada Geese, and a
couple  Black Ducks.

Then out to Hwy. 49 were we got excellent views of a light morph
Rough-Winged Hawk. We also counted ~15 Tundra Swans (another possibility
would be Trumpeter but Trumpeter wasn't in our book), Sandhill Cranes (so
many that we first thought they were a peninsula!), Canada Geese, Mallards,
Northern Shovelers, Hooded Mergansers, Black Ducks, a Ruddy Duck, and a
Redhead.

Isaac and Elliot Kramer, Appleton