[wisb] Science: Bird conservation works, but we need a lot more of it

  • From: Chuck Hagner <chagner@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2010 10:32:45 -0500

Hi everyone--
I'm sure you've heard that scientists are reporting in the journal Science that
a fifth of invertebrate species are classified as threatened, and that this
figure is increasing. On average, 52 species of mammals, birds, and amphibians
move one category closer to extinction each year.

Birder's World Associate Editor Matt Mendenhall has studied the Science paper,
and he participated in an international teleconference yesterday. He describes
what the paper means for birds on our blog.

Matt writes that 269 bird species have moved at least one category up or down
on the Red List since 1988. Of these, 230 have moved closer to extinction, and
35 have improved due to conservation efforts. Matt lists the 35 in his post:

Conservation works, but we need a lot more of it
Birder's World Field of View
http://bit.ly/cyWUMh

Chuck Hagner
Editor, Birder's World Magazine