[wisb] Sax-Zim Birding Festival + Douglas County birding

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Feb 2013 21:19:44 -0600

Hey everyone,

I led field trips for another consecutive year at the Sax-Zim Bog Winter
Birding Festival this past weekend.  The festival was a smashing success and my
Lake County field trips picked up some awesome species like Black-backed
Woodpecker, Spruce Grouse in the northwoods, and Boreal and Great Gray Owls
along the north shore of Lake Superior.  I'm sure a full report will be posted
on the MOU listserve and MN Birding Facebook pages sometime soon.   Boreal Owl
numbers are slowing, but numbers of Great Gray Owls are picking up quickly.

I did a little birding in Douglas County while in the area.  The Snowy Owls are
still hanging around the Superior Airport and the refinery areas. One at the
east end of the runway and one in the refinery area. On Mon, I took a client
out looking for these owls and we scored one sitting on an oil tank.

I also took him to look for the Hawk-Owls in Poplar.  We found one Hawk-owl
about 100 yds east of the intersection of Bayfield and Wiehie roads.

We cruised Moccasin Mike Rd in search of the Boreal Owl, but it appears that
the bird kept moving, as I suspected it probably would.

If Great Grays keep moving down the north shore, there is a possibility they
could turn up in Douglas County or nearby.

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland CountyTour leader Swallowtail Birding Tours
https://www.facebook.com/Swallowtailbirdingtours?ref=hl

Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)