[wisb] Sauk County today

  • From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 02 Jul 2011 21:44:01 -0500

I made my first-ever visits to Hemlock Draw and Pine Hollow in the Baraboo
Hills today (hey, better late than never!)  Despite getting a late start, I was
pleasantly surprised at how many birds were singing at both locations.  I
unfortunately missed my main target (Worm-eating Warbler) yet again - had a
good candidate trilling in some dense stuff at Hemlock, only to see a Chipping
Sparrow.  Sigh.  Had Wood Thrushes, Veeries and Scarlet Tanagers at both spots.
 At Hemlock Draw, had a Blue-winged Warbler and heard a couple of
Yellow-throated Vireos.  At Pine Hollow, I'm fairly certain I heard a Mourning
Warbler as I turned onto Orchard Rd. off County C, and I may have had another
down in the hollow itself.  Also heard a Chestnut-sided in that same area.

Both locations were fantastic for butterflies, too.  If you've never seen a
Tawny Emperor, hike down into Pine Hollow - I had at least eight there.

Peter Fissel
Madison WI