[wisb] Sauk Co. This morning

  • From: The Gorman-Baers <gormbaer@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 2010 19:28:00 -0500

Hello,

This morning, I visited a couple of spots in Sauk and Iowa Counties,
managing to pick up at least one year bird (while *not* seeing a
hoped-for bird) in most places.

Baxter's Hollow had several Cerulean Warblers, a Yellow-Billed Cuckoo
(FOY), lots of Veeries, Ovenbirds, and Wood Thrushes, but no Hooded
Warbler.

At Spring Green Preserve, I say only two (FOY) Lark Sparrows, but
lots of Grasshoppers Sparrows. I did not see any Orchard Orioles, but
did see some thing unusual: I found one of the Northern Mockingbirds
high in a tree in the SW corner of the preserve. While I was looking
at it, I noticed several birds soaring high up behind it in the
distance. They turned out to be 4 White Pelicans, the first I've ever
seen from this location.

Tower Hill State Park was fairly quiet - no Prothonotaries, but an
Ovenbird, a Solitary Sandpiper, Brown Thrasher, Pileated Woodpecker,
and Tennesee and Nashville Warblers.

Finally, at Folklore Village Farm near Ridgeway, I walked the prairie
and saw my FOY Savannah Sparrow, but did not see the Upland
Sandpipers or Bobolinks that are usually there this time of year.

--
Peter Gorman
Mount Horeb, Dane Co.