[wisb] Saturday night full moon and migration

  • From: Brian Hansen <rawshooter@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Sep 2009 23:30:31 -0500

I  have to confess that when I first got into birding 3 years ago and
started reading the posts here I was a bit skeptical about some of the
things birders did to view birds.  Things like watching the radar, pishing,
looking at the full moon with binocs etc...  Well let me exclaim I am a
believer.  May 8th 2007 I looked at the radar (and saved it on my computer)
at around 1AM.  It was a solid mass of huge dark green circles up to 100
miles in diameter around every radar site north of the Kentucky/Indiana
border.  The next morning I was out at sunrise and had one of my best days
ever.  I photographed and IDed - with the help of wisbird members - 19
species of warblers that day.  Then I ran into John Idzikowski (spelling?
sorry) one day this spring in lake park and watched him pish in about 50
birds of various species including many warblers, gnatcatchers, chickadees,
an eastern phoebe etc... to within about 10 feet of us.  So close in fact I
couldn't focus my camera on them.  Now tonight I was sitting outside and
heard songbirds flying high overhead.  I grabbed my binocs and and just
watched the full moon for about 15 minutes and after a while started
noticing quick dark blips going by.  Well let me just say I am officially a
believer and from this point on will believe pretty much anything I read on
here :) - except what Freriks says :) :)   I just wish it wouldn't have
taken me 40 years to find all this out.
Should be great tomorrow.  The radar shows heavy movement in and around
Green Bay and Minneapolis as well as the UP.
http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full.php  This is a big download for those of
you with slower connections.

Brian Hansen
Milwaukee - east side