[wisb] Rusty Blackbird, Grant Park--LIFER!

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <birdspazz@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2011 11:13:31 -0700 (PDT)

Hello everyone,
I haven't gotten a good look at a Fox Sparrow this fall, much to my chagrin,
but I did spot my first Rusty Blackbird this morning! It was calmly foraging
along the edges of the pond in Grant Park in South Milwaukee, accessible
through the Will-O-Way entrance. I took a few photos of it, which are at the
link below. I hope some other people in the South Milwaukee area get a chance
to view it.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/sets/72157627927742523/

Thanks,

Jennifer Ambrose
MKE County, Bayview

http://www.welovebirds.org/profile/Jenthreat
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id0002213937504
http://www.flickr.com/photos/49427613@N03/

________________________________
Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:45:45 -0500
From: Nolan Pope <npope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] scoters, diving ducks on Lake Waubesa (Dane County)

reporting for Steve Thiessen who just called from McFarland, WI.
(8:40am)---

Large numbers of waterfowl have arrived on Lake Waubesa overnight.
From the park on the east side of Lake Waubesa, next to the Green
Lantern restaurant, he can see a group of 4 scoters.   2 are definitely
white-winged scoters.   Lots of other diving ducks, loons.

Nolan Pope, Madison -- for Steve Thiessen, Stoughton

------------------------------

From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Western Tanager still present this AM (Lincoln Co.)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 08:49:10 -0500

Daryl Christensen just called me and asked me to post that the Western
Tanager is still present at the McConnell feeders as of 8:30 this morning.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake, WI

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 08:54:02 -0500
From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

If memory serves, that park is called McDaniel or something similar.  It
can be reached by taking Siggelkow Rd. west off Hwy 51 about halfway
between Madison and McFarland.

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.

------------------------------

From: "Wild Birds Unlimited" <wbuwausau@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Western Tanager - YES
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:06:51 -0500

Headed up to Merrill this morning to see the Western Tanager. I arrived at
about 8:00 and the bird showed up about 5 minutes later and feasted on suet.
Also entertained by a Red-bellied and 3 very vocal loons on the lake. Great way
to start out the day!
Lori â?? Marathon County

Lori Schubring
Wild Birds Unlimited
4121 Rib Mountain Drive
Wausau, WI 54401

------------------------------

From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Concordia Inca Dove (11/3)- more photos
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:52:40 -0500

Hey everyone,

Thanks to Jenny Wenzel for updating everyone about the dove for me.
I arrived at Concordia around 1:30 ish to find Janine Polk and her daughter,
who said that the bird hadn't been seen for about two hours. They hung out by
the building while I took a quick run around the campus. Not too many other
likely spots to find it, save the newly reseeded areas by the baseball diamond.
Carl Schwartz showed up around 2:15 and the dove had not yet shown up.  While
the Polks waited, Carl and I took another spin around the campus. Upon our
return, we saw Janine waving to us and yelling.  We took off running.
The Inca Dove was sitting right at the edge of the grass along the sidewalk,
right by the street.  We got excellent looks at this 1st state record.
Everyone else took off fairly quickly, but I hung around til about 3pm,
watching and photographing the bird.  It mostly just stayed out of the wind,
hunkering low in the grass.  The bird was still sitting in the grass when I
left.

Photos here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto/

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County Interpretive Naturalist Mississippi
Explorer Cruises
http://mississippiexplorer.com/chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.nabirding.com/http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)

------------------------------

From: Ryan Brady <ryanbrady10@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: no sighting, question ?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 09:48:39 -0600

Steve, I can't speak for the RC's position prior to my tenure as Chair but I
see no reason why a Barnacle Goose would be automatically binned as an escape
without assessment of each record's unique circumstances.  Looks like Arkansas
has a strong case as to why and, without knowing more than what's written
below, their logic seems well-founded to me.

Ryan Brady
Washburn, Bayfield County, WI
http://www.pbase.com/rbrady

From: Dan Jackson <DanJackson@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 11:09:15 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Updates on Inca Dove and ST Flycatcher?

If anyone tries for these birds today, please post your results.  I may have
the chance to go birding tomorrow.....
Thanks,

Dan Jackson
Chaseburg, Vernon County, WI  (near La Crosse)
www.pbase.com/dejackson

------------------------------

From: Schroeder Carl <Carl.Schroeder@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Red Phalarope in Racine - Don't give up
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 16:33:32 +0000

It may take extra effort to find it.  After seeing the Inca Dove at 3:30
Wednesday, I drove to Wind Point arriving just before sunset about 5:20.  I
parked by the golf club and cut down to the beach a couple hundred yards to the
north near the first breakwater, walked up to the lighthouse and back as
darkness fell along with my hopes. Then about 6:00 I heard a Greater Yellowlegs
calling and saw him on a rock on the beach just below the clubhouse where the
willows were so thick they cut off the beach access.  I pushed my way through
the willows that crowded the beach and suddenly only 15 ft in front of me was
the Red P. dabbling in the shallows among the rocks.  It let me watch it
feeding until it was so dark I couldn't see it anymore.  I have flash
photos.  ; >)
The only other Red P.'s  I've seen were in the most extreme opposite
conditions, 30 miles offshore of San Francisco at 500 yards flying wildly
through the 15 ft seas.

Carl Schroeder
School Hill, Manitowoc Co.

------------------------------

From: Stuart Malcolm <stuart.malcolm26@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Updates on Inca Dove and ST Flycatcher?
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:23:28 -0500

The Inca Dove hadn't been seen between 9 - 11:30am in very heavy winds. There
were still a few people looking when I left so hopefully they had better luck
after I called it a day.

Stuart Malcolm
Appleton

Sent from my iPhone

From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Concordia Inca Dove (11/3)- more photos
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 13:26:14 -0500

hey everyone, just to clarify, that's WED 11/2 that i saw the dove.  missed
Carl S by about 15 mins.  thanks to Jesse for pointing out my error. It was
about 1am when i typed that..
  --Chris
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 12:15:18 -0500
Subject: Re: [wisb] Concordia Inca Dove (11/3)- more photos
From: calocitta8@xxxxxxxxx
To: little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx

Chris - Do you mean 11/2? You may want to clarify to the list.

Jesse

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 9:52 AM, Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx> wrote:

[...]

Jesse Ellis
Post-doctoral Researcher
Dept. of Zoology
University of Wisconsin - Madison
Madison, Dane Co, WI

------------------------------

Subject: [wisb] Cattle Egret in Plover
From: ewbirdingwi@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:38:24 -0400 (EDT)

On the south side of Cty Hwy. B 1/4 mile east of I-39, 3 Cattle Egret eating
and drinking from some roadside water.  My first  for Portage CO.
Wyleen High
Amherst Portage CO

------------------------------

Subject: [wisb] Where are my Mourning Doves?
From: ewbirdingwi@xxxxxxx
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:40:20 -0400 (EDT)

Last season I had anywhere from a dozen to 30 Mourning Doves at my feeder.
There are none around here.  Is anyone else noting a decrease in numbers?
Wyleen High
Amherst Portage CO

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 14:46:03 -0500
From: Kyle Lindemer <kyle.lindemer@xxxxxxxxx>

I relocated the Scoters between 1100-1130 from McDaniel Park.  All four
appear to be White-winged Scoters.  three of them flapped their wings to
show off the white secondaries.  With the afternoon lighting, one may be
able to see them better from Lake Farm Park.
Kyle Lindemer
Madison, Dane Co

On Thu, Nov 3, 2011 at 8:45 AM, Nolan Pope <npope@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> reporting for Steve Thiessen who just called from McFarland, WI.
> (8:40am)---
>
> Large numbers of waterfowl have arrived on Lake Waubesa overnight.
>  From the park on the east side of Lake Waubesa, next to the Green
> Lantern restaurant, he can see a group of 4 scoters.   2 are definitely
> white-winged scoters.   Lots of other diving ducks, loons.
>
> Nolan Pope, Madison -- for Steve Thiessen, Stoughton

> //www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn

Kyle Lindemer
Madison, Dane County

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 14:51:03 -0500
Subject: [wisb] another new field guide; 6th edition of Nat'l Geographic Field
From: william mueller <wpmueller1947@xxxxxxxxx>

The 6th Edition of The National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of
North America is now out. Multiple improvements make this new edition a
very worthwhile investment. Tom Schultz, WSO President and accomplished
artist has a number of pages of excellent new plates in this guide. Other
new art (by other artists) is found throughout. Some plates remain
unchanged from previous editions, but many are new, as are quite a few new
or updated maps, and "subspecies and migration maps" - a great new feature
not previously found in this guide. I just opened the package...so I have
more to learn about it. My old one is pretty worn out anyway, so "it was
time"...
--
William P. Mueller
Western Great Lakes Bird and Bat Observatory

------------------------------

Subject: [wisb] ST Flycatcher - Kewaunee Cty: first No, then Yes
From: Curt & Jeanne Heuer <heuers3@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:17:14 -0500

Had no luck this morning between 9 -10:45 a.m. trying to locate the
Scissor-tailed Flycatcher along County E south of County O in Kewaunee
County.  Returned after lunch, around 2:20 and met a couple of photographers
(sorry, I didn't catch their names) who pointed the bird out to us.  They said
it had been there about 20 minutes.  The bird was on the wire fence (the one
with the orange Warning sign near the road) about 1/4 mile south of the Cty E
and Cty O intersection.  We were able to observe the bird for about 10
minutes, watching it fly out to hawk for insects in the surrounding grass.
Just as the bird took flight and headed over a rise about 1/4 mile away to the
Northwest, Tom Uttech and Tom Wood pulled up.  I hope they were able to
relocate the bird after we left.

Curt Heuer
New Franken, Brown County
------------------------------

From: "Tom Schultz" <trschultz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Report: Inca Dove - NO today
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:51:16 -0500

I just talked to Daryl Christensen again.  He spent over 3 hours at
Concordia U. today, trying for the Inca Dove -- without success.  He said
that unfortunately there was a very large dumpster that was brought in to
that area with a big semi truck, and then lots of clanging and beeping from
a big front-end loader, and then I think he said it was hauled out again.
All this commotion may have caused the dove to fly elsewhere.

He was about to leave the site, but would like to hear if someone finds it
yet this afternoon/evening.  I have to drive to Milwaukee tomorrow, so I
will probably try for the bird also.

Tom Schultz
Green Lake Co.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 16:49:10 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Re: Report: Inca Dove - NO today
From: Tim Hahn <thahnbirder@xxxxxxxxx>

I spent about an hour at the Concordia bluff this morning as well.  The NNE
winds coming off the lake were such that any bird could have easily been
blown well inland.  The bird could still be in the area, but in a different
spot.
--
Cheers!

Tim Hahn
New Berlin, WI
(Waukesha Cty)

From: Tom Sykes <sykes@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] FYI: Internet hiccups
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 15:04:20 -0700

The Internet is a wonderful tool, especially for birders. But even the best of
tools may let you down from time to time.

In spite of the best efforts of the WISBIRDN administrators, the list, or your
account, may suffer some hiccups. When they occur here are a few tips to bear
in mind:

1. If your account is unsubscribed for whatever reason, remember, you can
access the most recent WISBIRDN posts at other locations. First try
//www.freelists.org/archive/wisbirdn/ where all posts are in a searchable
archive. Second, try BirdingontheNet
http://birdingonthe.net/mailinglists/WISC.html where WISBIRDN posts are
mirrored. NOTE: If you are unsubscribed please check either of the above links
where you may find a public communication from one of the administrators,
specially if a group of accounts have been simultaneously impacted. For
example, it seems that all the subscribers with a centurytel.net domain are
producing "Relaying denied" errors. So far none have been unsubscribed. But the
centurytel.net domain is being problematic again.

2. Recently, a FaceBook page, the Wisconsin Birding Network (no affiliation
with WISBIRDN) was begun. http://www.facebook.com/groups/wisbirdn/ You have to
join FaceBook to access posts on the FB page. WISBIRDN posts are not mirrored
on the FB site but some subscribers of WISBIRDN are also members of the FB page
and post the same messages to both locations. If you feel comfortable using FB
you may want to check the site out and consider joining.

3. From time to time WISBIRDN subscribers using Yahoo have had their accounts
hacked which has resulted in spam hitting WISBIRDN. In these instances these
Yahoo accounts have been removed as soon as possible. Once a new and secure
Yahoo address is reacquired, these subscribers may again join WISBIRDN. Check
Yahoo for specifics about what to do if your Yahoo account is hacked. NOTE: It
is imperative that you take all necessary precautions to protect your computer
from being hacked or infected while on the Internet. Remember: a little common
sense goes a long way.

4. From time to time the servers where WISBIRDN (Freelists.org) is hosted have
suffered slowdowns and in some rare instances gone offline. When this happens
it is completely out of the control of WISBIRDN administrators. But as
frustrating as this may be, such outages have not lasted long. By all means
please contact either Peter or myself with your questions. Peter has been
exceptional about staying on top of things whereas traveling around the country
as I have, I do not always have a timely Internet connection.

PLEASE do yourself a favor and tuck this email away for future reference. And
thanks for your patience when the list gets the hiccups or you encounter other
issues with your account (which at times are not the fault of WISBIRDN!).

Peter Fissel pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Tom Sykes sykes@xxxxxxxxxx

Tom Sykes
Wisbirdn List Owner
sykes@xxxxxxxxxx

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 17:21:41 -0500
From: Lynn Ott <laott@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Western Tanager - YES again

The Western Tanager was still present at the feeders as of 4:30 this
evening.

Lynn Ott
Wausau-Marathon County

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Western Tanager-yes\Lincoln County
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:07:53 -0500

I arrived at 9:40 a.m. and the bird made an appearance at 10:29 A.M. ,going
to the suet feeder for about 3 minutes and then to the pines on the north
side of the house where it was sunning itself when I left at 10:45 A.M.

Thanks to the McConnells for allowing us to visit their property, and thanks
to Dan Belter for posting the bird and making the necessary arrangements

with  the McConnells.

Thomas C. Wood,Menomonee Falls,Waukesha County

------------------------------

From: Adam Sinkula <adam0227@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher -yes
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:10:55 -0500

Nancy Nabak and I set out and found the STFC at the location South of the Cty E
& O intersection about 200 yds north of the cow pasture by the fenceline with
the warning sign.  Yes, we were the photographers previous mentioned.  If
your in the area it is not a bad idea to continue on E to Kewaunee.  I am
originally from there and this time of year is good for migrating waterfowl.
Also, for future references, in winter Kewaunee can be a good spot to get
different gulls.

Adam Sinkula

Green Bay, WI, Brown County

------------------------------

From: "Tom Wood" <tcwood729@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Scissor-tailed Flycatcher-yes\Kewaunee County
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 18:16:07 -0500

Tom Uttech and I watched the bird for about 10 minutes between 3:10-3:20
P.M. on a red bin or small shed adjacent to a weathered deteriorating barn
1/4 mile south of CTH  O on the west side of CTH E. It flew to the rusted
vent of the small adjacent building between the small red bin and the barn.

Moments after Tom Uttech pulled away, it flew back into the field out of
view. I can see why it is intermittently seen. When it is in the low areas
of the

field it is impossible to spot.

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:20:15 +0000 (UTC)
From: Steve and Evie Fisher <pescador2@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Peregrine Falcon

My wife and I had some good looks at a Peregrine Falcon, likely a female and
apparently unbanded (from the angles of the views we got), in downtown Wausau
early this evening (November 3).

Steve Fisher
Wausau, Marathon County

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 19:46:59 -0500
From: Joanne Wagner <jlwagner@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Brown Thrasher In Madison (and the moose)

Someone (will let him post here if he wishes) posted on the FB site that
he had a brown thrasher at his feeder yesterday, and he posted a nice
photo!  I answered that I also had one in my backyard yesterday...sorry,
no photo.  Jesse Ellis suggested we should both eBird the sightings, so
I'm posting mine here.  I'm on the west side of Madison near the
beltline/midvale/nakoma road.

As long as I'm here- thanks for the nice comments about the moose I saw
south of Superior.  To those who wondered how far north of Minong I saw
him:  I found a reference for Minong as being mile marker 185 and I saw
him just south of mile marker 210.  So it was about 25 miles north of
Minong and 4-5 miles north of Solon Springs.

Joanne Wagner
Dane county- Madison

------------------------------

From: "Rhonda Schrab" <rdzs@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Horicon Marsh Dike Rd.
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 19:54:27 -0500

Took a drive on Dike Rd. this afternoon. Nothing out of the ordinary. Small
variety of ducks, im. bald eagle, harriers, few gulls, Canada geese and Am.
tree sparrows. Did see first of season snow buntings though. Also with the
geese were about 150 swans. Could not tell which  kind.
Dave Schrab
Hustisford,WI
Dodge Co

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 20:45:16 -0500
From: Aaron Stutz <agstutz@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Surf Scoters--Rock Lake, Jefferson Co.

Hi all,

I scoped Rock Lake on my way home from work today.  From Korth Park I
spotted 4-6 scoters 2/3 of the way across the lake--too far to separate
White-winged from Surf.  Also present was a large raft of ducks--divers
and dabblers.

Hoping for better look I scoped from Bartel's Beach and had poor but
diagnostic looks at two of the birds (Surfs)--still not sure of the
numbers as they were moving up and down in the waves.  According to
eBird this is a first county record.

Best spot to see these birds and the large raft of ducks (most of which
were severely back-lit and unidentifiable to me this evening) would be
from Bartel's in the AM.  From Main St. in Lake Mills (Hwy 89) go west
on Lake St to Ferry Dr then south on Ferry.  Bartel's Beach is on Ferry
Dr south of Lake St.  I will be out there Saturday morning with my scope
as soon as I can convince my son to go to the park with me.

Aaron Stutz
Lake Mills, WI
Jefferson Co.

------------------------------

From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Brown Thrasher In Madison (and the moose)
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 21:18:54 -0500

Joanne,

Generally eBird isn't set up, far as I know, to let someone else do it for
you.  So if you yourself don't have an account, you generally can't have
someone else put in the record.  However, I know the people who do eBird for
Wisconsin might have a way to do it under a special administrator account,
so in case they want to do it, I'm Ccing Nick Anich who may be able to put
it into that account for you though he might require more details about the
sighting.  Otherwise you may want to sign up for your own eBird account at
www.ebird.org.  It's pretty easy to use these days.

As for your moose, hopefully you submitted it to the DNR via their rare
mammal report.  If not the link is here:
http://dnr.wi.gov/org/land/er/forms/rare_mammal.asp

-Mike, Waukesha

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 21:31:03 -0500
From: Joanne Wagner <jlwagner@xxxxxxxx>

I did post the Brown Thrasher to eBird too.  Forgot to add the "too" to
my first post.  And yes, the moose got posted to the rare mammal DNR
report.  Had an "e conversation" with Adrian Wydeven who helped me
narrow down where mile marker 210 actually was.

Joanne Wagner
Madison- Dane county

Date: Thu, 03 Nov 2011 22:00:40 -0500
From: Peter Fissel <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Tundra Swans over Madison tonight

As I left the Southern Wisc. Butterfly Assn. meeting tonight shortly after
9:00, I heard what I thought sounded like Tundra Swans.  I stood in the
parking lot of the Warner Park Community Center for a couple of minutes,
frantically looking around the sky (fortunately, I don't think anyone saw me,
since I'm sure I looked fairly demented,) and had almost dismissed it as an
auditory malfunction, when I suddenly spotted a large flock of swans (50-60)
headed southeast.  This is a week or two earlier than I typically see my first
"night swans" of the season.  Along with the multitude of DE Juncos in my
mom's yard in Oshkosh last weekend, it's beginning to feel as though winter is
inevitably heading this way...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.

------------------------------

From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Tundra Swans over Madison tonight
Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 22:19:34 -0500

I quickly checked a couple spots on the west shore of Lake Mendota after work
today and there was a group of 195 Tundra Swans quite a ways out from Governor
Nelson State Park. As Peter said, this is a little earlier than when I
typically first see them as well. I couldn't find any scoters but saw a nice
mix of divers including Goldeneye and Canvasback. There are currently
staggering numbers of Ruddy Duck (500+) and Coots (800+) that can be seen from
Governor Nelson. Only a couple loons.

Tom Prestby
Madison

Date: Thu, 3 Nov 2011 23:01:16 -0500
Subject: [wisb] Recent migrants (Twin Ports area), pictures, and Herring Gull r
From: Erik Bruhnke <birdfedr@xxxxxxxxx>

haven't added any entries to my blog in a while. Here is my newest entry,
in case you're interested! It's about the past season at Hawk Ridge, cool
tidbits & facts, and being thankful.
http://naturallyavian.blogspot.com/2011/11/hawk-ridge-2011.html

This afternoon I visited Summit Ledges at Hawk Ridge (Summit Ledges is one
of the rocky outcrops along the northern edge of the Hawk Ridge trails). I
hawkwatched there by myself to just soak up the late autumn views and
simply take it easy this afternoon.  If you're ever in Duluth, and need a
walk through the gorgeous woods, that leads to a breathtaking view; Summit
Ledges is the place to be! Below is my eBird list from this afternoon at
the ridge.

Mallard  1
Bald Eagle  11
Red-tailed Hawk  14     One of the fourteen RTs observed was a dark morph.
Rough-legged Hawk  2
Golden Eagle  1
American Crow  2
Common Raven  1
Black-capped Chickadee  3
Red-breasted Nuthatch  1
Snow Bunting  2
American Tree Sparrow  1
Pine Grosbeak  1
White-winged Crossbill  2
Evening Grosbeak  3

Here are some of my shots from this afternoon. Enjoy!

Evening Grosbeaks in flight (distant shots, but identifiable)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139381182
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139381181

Golden Eagle
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139381183

Juvenile Red-tailed Hawk
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139381185

Late-autumn view from Summit Ledges
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139381184

Throughout the past few nights, I have been hearing some impressive
movements of songbirds overhead. I am new to nocturnal flight calls, but
two calls that I was hearing regularly was the daytime "krip" of the Red
Crossbill, and the soft, cute-toned "chew" of the Snow Bunting. Again, I'm
not sure if the daytime flight calls are the same as the nocturnal calls,
but both sounded right-on for the two species' daytime flight calls.

Now onto the recent gull happenings up here...

Close up of a Ring-billed Gull at Canal Park
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371803

Here is that darker-marked (oddly-molting) Ring-billed Gull. I really like
this one :-)
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371805
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371806
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371808

There is one Herring Gull at Canal Park that has thrown me off recently. I
believe this is an "American" race Herring Gull, however it's rump,
although barred, was notably paler than the other nearby Herring Gulls'
rumps. It has a pale head, but there have been other 1st-cycle Herring
Gulls with slightly pale heads as well. I am without my gull book yet
again, and going by field guides alone for nitty-gritty identification can
be tricky. Comments and thoughts are welcome! Thanks for any feedback you
can offer.
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371792
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371794
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371796
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371798
http://www.pbase.com/birdfedr/image/139371800

Good birding,
Erik Bruhnke
Duluth, MN

--
*NATURALLY AVIAN* - Guided Birdwatching Trips and Bird photography
www.pbase.com/birdfedr

To change DIGEST modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn