[wisb] Ruby-throated Hummingbird near Pickett, WI

  • From: Mark Benson <2718mtb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 08:43:22 -0500

Greetings,
Yesterday afternoon I went to Elaine Swanson's home near Pickett to get
photos of the hummingbird that had been feeding in her yard since 10/14.  I
was excited at the idea that it could be a Rufous or perhaps something else
more rare.

Not only is Elaine a most gracious host, but she is also great with kids,
and played with my almost-4-year old daughter Alethia the whole time I was
there.  Alethia was asking when we can come back and play again on the way
home.

I didn't know a whole lot about hummingbird ID, except that we weren't
supposed to have any straggling Ruby-throated Hummingbirds still in WI this
late in the year. Well, after sharing mine and Elaine's photos on bird
identification groups on Facebook, apparently it is a juvenile
Ruby-throated.  It has a faint belly-band, but no rufous tones to speak of,
and the P10 "wingtip" feathers are too straight and narrow to suggest a
Black-chinned Hummingbird, which could be otherwise confused for a
Ruby-throated Hummingbird.

Yours in birding,

Mark Benson
Oshkosh WI