[wisb] Ruby-throated Hummingbird babies - Columbia County

  • From: Brian Doverspike <briandoverspike@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Jul 2015 16:10:57 -0500

Our resident Ruby-throated Hummingbird has two babies in her nest today. I
believe they just hatched today as she has been off the nest much more today
than in the past and they are so tiny! She has tolerated us mowing the lawn
twice now and I could probably almost touch the nest on tippy toes. Hopefully
she can tolerate a family and friend gathering tomorrow located less than 50
feet from the nest. I have roped off a square area about 25 feet per side
under the nest site as a buffer zone. Crossing my fingers this will be enough.
After tomorrow she should not be bothered much until the young fledge.
Brian Doverspike and Becky Anderson
Pardeeville, Columbia County