[wisb] Retzer Nature Center (Waukesha Co.) incl. carolina wren

  • From: "Mike Duchek" <mikeduchek@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 19 Sep 2010 09:44:41 -0500

Went to Retzer Nature Center this morning, just back. It's very overcast today
with occasional drizzle which made things very hard to see and maybe some birds
are hunkering down.  Still, it was productive.  Lots of the usual suspects
especially robins and cedar waxwings (saw flock of 70+).  Warblers were hard to
find at first, did see what looked like a thrush but couldn't tell ID.  Had FOF
ruby-crowned kinglet in a tree and FOF WT sparrows in the brush.  Then a few
warblers came out including black and white and I believe black-throated green.
 Also had this bird, can anyone ID?  I thought it was a warbler (pine?) but I
think it looks like a yellow-throated vireo given the spectacles, bill, etc...
Sorry for poor photo but may be enough I think to ID:
http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2478153310059461204LQUNLx

As I was leaving I heard a raspy sound and immediately thought wren but when I
rounded the corner I was face to face with a carolina wren.  Pretty cool.
Never seen one in WI before myself.  Has anyone seen them at Retzer before?
Anyway nice to see one in Waukesha Co.  Here's the only photo I got before the
bird disappeared:

http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/2880213830059461204ogAHcp

The weather looks pretty tenuous today and I don't know if it will get better
or worse, but this spot again seemed to have a nice variety.  Also seen were RB
grosbeak and RT hummingbird.

The "spot," since people had asked is sort of where the green and purple loops
diverge close to HWY DT.  Go down the hill from the building and you'll get to
a tractor trail.  Continue on the trail over a bridge and the trail will go
left.  This is where the wren was.  Eventually you'll get to a spot where the
green continues on and the purple goes up and right toward a small orchard.  Go
a little on the purple and also down the green toward the cedars and this is
where I seem to have had some good activity.

Thanks,

-Mike Duchek, Waukesha, Waukesha Co.