[wisb] Results so far on iPod/iPhone birding apps RFI

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2010 09:27:10 -0600

After getting some feedback, and trudging through the iTunes store's
infuriatingly NON-intuitive search functions (birding apps are spread
out in at least three different categories, including Education,
Reference, and Games, and you pretty much need to know the exact name of
an app to search for it that way,) I've settled (for now) on the Nat'l
Geographic Handheld Birds (mostly because it was on sale and I'm more
familiar with that paper guide,) Bird Tunes (for vocalizations,) and
Wisconsin Butterflies (kudos to Cynthia Bridge for reminding of that one.)

Points against the Nat. Geog. guide:  doesn't have a "general" search
function, although you can do a keyword search (e.g., searching "Gulls"
gives you a list of said birds, which you can quickly scroll through and
select which one you want. You can also search by taxonomic or family
order, so it's better for non-beginners.)  Also, within minutes of using
it, I found a glitch in the audio files.  The vocalizations linked to
the Townsend's Solitaire page are actually an Am. Three-toed
Woodpecker's (which is also correctly linked to its own page, meaning NO
Townsend's vocalizations in the guide, unless they're linked to
something else.)

Points for Nat. Geog.:  good multiple plumage illustrations, range maps,
descriptions, decent audio files, etc.

Bird Tunes (highly recommended by Tom Schaefer, and also by me):
Outstanding audio files - multiple variants of songs, calls, and other
vocalizations (and non-vocalizations such as bill-snapping or
flight-produced sounds such as C. Nighthawk "booming") for each species.
Searchable by taxonomic group, keyword or alphabetical.  You can also
set any vocalization to play in a loop, which would be good for calling
owls, for instance.  I'm not sure if you can search by "type of sound",
as you can with some of the other apps (still playing with it.)  This is
not, strictly speaking, a field guide, although each species has a nice
photo accompanying the vocalizations.

Wisconsin Butterflies (and search EXACTLY that name if trying to find it
in the iTunes store):  Outstanding - essentially a mobile version of the
excellent wisconsinbutterflies.org website.

Other apps I'm considering:  the Sibley guide - recommended by several
people, and generally well-reviewed.  Seems to have multiple ways of
searching, including by general characteristics, so probably suitable
for beginning birders.  My only beef with Sibley has always been that
I'm not overly happy with the illustrations.  The app is also a bit
pricey ($29.95) - I may stick with waiting until I get back to the car
and checking my "big" Sibley for reference, unless the app goes on sale.

iBird Pro HD:  several recommendations for iBird Pro, and generally good
reviews.  Seems to have very good multiple search points, so especially
good for beginning birders.  I believe it may use both photos and
illustations.  I haven't checked into it as much as some of the others.

iBird Explorer:  this is the one that links you to up-to-the-minute
eBird reports via a wireless network.  Might be more useful while
traveling, and especially if you have an iPhone, although usable on an
iPod Touch if you can find a wireless signal at a coffee shop, motel, or
even some highway rest stops.  I believe you get the Google Map
locations of any rare species reported.  The obvious drawback - only a
certain percentage of birders are using eBird currently, so you won't be
getting all the rare bird reports.  Might be a good adjunct to checking
state birding listservs, though.

And then there's Angry, Angry Birds... apparently the #1-selling (and
highly addictive) gaming app currently offered by iTunes.  The evil pigs
have stolen the birds' eggs, and they're out for revenge, and well, I
don't really need anything new to waste my time on... well, maybe just
ONE quick game...

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.