[wisb] Rest of my northwoods visit, Iron River

  • From: Paul Bruce <birdsandfish49@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 09:24:18 -0700 (PDT)

WOW, is all have to say.  both birds and fishing were unbelieveable.  Aside
from the visit I had
at the bog T. Ocky had told me about, (we found the place by the way),
unfortuantely it was a mid-day
visit, so any activity was greatly reduced. There were only a handful of sps
present, 3 kestrels, a Cooper's
Hawk milling around with them, a Yallowthroat, swamp sparrow, catbird and a
wood duck.
  As I had read about the Ozaukee Red Crossbills, I had them as well.  That was
the only RC flock I had
aside from the 4 other WW Crossbill flocks I had. Plus a  couple of PINE
SISKINS made an appearance
flying and calling over our section of woods. Purple Finches were present the
whole period.  Not done til
I leave today, I'm at 53 species, my latest sighting/hearing was 4 tree
swallows, high over the lake.
8 nighthawks made a surprise flyover last night before sundown. Calling in
woods to our east at sundown
were wood thrush and veery. Saw a SWAINSON'S yesterday morning along the road.
Warblers around the
trees were very scarce, mostly flyovers, I had a pair redstarts around the
driveway. Yellow-rumps were seen
across the lake this morning. That's it.  The only owl heard or seen around
here was Barred.  At least 5 Ravens
were goofing around with the crows by the house also this morning.
  I'll cover more off-topic subjects later, leaving time is disturbingly close
at hand.  Departing is such sweet sorrow.
Don't know if I'll ever make it up here again, but my bro and sis-in-law will
do everything possible to make it happen.
   Last time to say, reporting from Iron River,
   Paul Bruce