[wisb] Red-throated Loon, Long-tailed Duck - Bayfield Co.

  • From: Nick Anich <nicka29@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2011 14:59:47 -0700 (PDT)

I also had a RED-THROATED LOON out from the coal dock in Washburn today,
looking in the direction of the Ashland lighthouse. Perhaps it was the dark
day, but I wasn't getting much white on it, which suggests it's a different
individual than the winter-plumaged bird Ryan Brady had yesterday. Couldn't
find the Pacific Loon, but 3 RED-NECKED GREBES are still hanging around.
Behind the Lake Superior Lodge west of Ashland, there was a LONG-TAILED DUCK,
and 5 BLACK SCOTERS in with a bunch of scaup.

I also worked the lakefront trail in Washburn pretty hard hoping for a vagrant
passerine, but no luck.

Nick Anich
Ashland, WI