[wisb] Redpoll impoundment Common or Hoary?

  • From: steven lubahn <stevenlubahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird List <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2010 14:11:08 -0600

I spent about two hours at the Milwaukee Coast Guard Impoundment today. Among
the many Tree Sparrows, some White-crowned Sparrows, Juncos etc. There were two
Redpolls, one was very pale. I got excellent looks at this bird but
unfortunately my photos are distant and blurry. Initially I felt this was a
Hoary but now I'm not 100% confident. The bird was very pale overall, I didn't
see any streaking on the undertail coverts, none. The streaking on the sides
and flanks seem muted, not heavy and less exstensive than what you'd expect
from Common. The hind-neck and back was streaked but lighter overall, the cheek
was pale. There was a washy peach-ish color over the face and lower beard
surrounding the black. The cap was bright red. The secondaries seemed paler
than Common but the coverts didn't appear exceptionally whitish. The breast was
pure white and clean. The bill was small, blackish near the top of the upper
mandible and fairly straight. This was probably an adult female.

My photos are not good and they make the streaking seem heavier/darker than it
really was.

The bird spent most of the time on the south end of the fenced in area, just
north of the gated road which runs parallel to the paved road that leads out to
the ferry building.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stevenlubahn/sets/72157625677851168/with/5294341836/

Steven Lubahn
Cudahy