[wisb] Red-necked Phalarope, etc

  • From: Daryl Tessen <bhaunts@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2010 10:20:32 -0500

I spent part of this morning birding the Van Patten Rd and Mack WA
located west of Black Creek and east of Shiocton, off Hwy 54
(Outagamie co).  This area, also including New London, was hit
yesterday afternoon with 6 inches of rain!!! and some spots had 70 m/
h winds.  Damage was extensive in New London.  With that amount of
rain falling in a short period of time I figured that the Van Patten
fields north of the dikes would have more water.  They did.
17 species of shorebirds were found that included a Red-necked
Phalarope, the still present Wilson's Phalarope (often side by side
for a nice comparison), 5 Baird's, 1 White-rumped, 30 Stilt
Sandpipers, both dowitchers, etc.  While numbers were not as great
for most species (except the Stilt), the variety was better, as
compared to a few days ago.

Also along here was a nice passerine wave that included 10 warbler
species, gnatcatchers, Philadelphia Vireo (near Warbling for a nice
comparison), Olive-sided Flycatcher, Black-billed Cuckoo, etc.

Oh, and the mosquitoes at times were unreal.  Be prepared if you
decide to walk along the road.  I spent most of my time birding from
the vehicle.

Mack WA was relatively quiet with only a few warblers and flycatchers
present.

If you go for the shorebirds the small flooded parts of the fields
are located along Van Patten Rd north of the 6 diked areas which are
right off 54.  The shorebirds are very close to the road and allow
for excellent viewing.

Good luck.
Daryl Tessen
Appleton, WI