[wisb] Red-breasted Nuthatches Marathon Co.

  • From: Molly Zahn <mollyzahn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2014 07:39:17 -0700 (PDT)

Given the dearth of winter finches and similar irruptive species this year, I
was surprised and delighted to see 2 (maybe 3?) red-breasted nuthatches working
the feeders yesterday morning at the ski chalet at Nine Mile Forest south of
Wausau. They were accompanied by tons of chickadees having a great time in the
sun (as were all of us skiers--best ski day of the year, maybe because it was
above 20!). Not an earth-shattering sighting, but it made my day: I was
starting to think I wouldn't see any red-breasteds this winter.
Molly Zahn
Madison/Stevens Point/Lawrence, KS