[wisb] Red Crossbills again

  • From: Jeffrey Bahls <jbahls@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdnet <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2012 17:00:39 -0500

My apologies to the list for garbled text. Something on my new phone
needs figuring out. Anyway what I was trying to say was there are
still Red Crossbills present at Forest Beach Preserve in Ozaukee
County. We followed directions crossing the road and followed the
trail to mature conifers. We saw several crossbills, Red- beasted
Nuthatch and goldfinches. Suddenly a flock of birds landed in the
weeping willow tree ALL were crossbills I counted over 30 in addition
to the 15 or so in the conifers. Suzanne said there were more birds on
her side of the tree. I took some video of the birds feeding. Then
they took off to the west, I counted over 100! and when I scoped their
landing spot there were already many bird there so my guess would be
125-150 in the area.
We wondered the area near the hawk platform saw kestrels, meadowlarks,
kingbirds and a flock of 14 young turkeys
Nice area!  It was nice to see Red Crossbills without freezing to
death, I normally associate crossbills with the dead of winter .
If any one has a Motorola Electrify phone that could help me with the
font issues that would be great.

Jeff Bahls
Lowell Wi
Dodge co