[wisb] Racine Lakefront this morning

  • From: Jennifer Wenzel <miloloki@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2012 17:47:45 -0500

Hi all,

Rick Fare and I birded Racine's lakefront this morning.

Highlights...Wind Point had a flock of 12 SNOW BUNTINGS, 2 Black-Bellied
Plovers (Grey Plover per ebird), a Lapland Longspur, and a few lingering
YR Warblers...on the lake...Common Loons, RB Mergansers, a few
Bufflehead, Goldeneye, and increasing numbers of WHITE-WINGED SCOTERS
with a few SURF SCOTERS amongst the choppy waves. It was difficult to
count ducks at times with the heavy wave movement!

North Beach had a few Sanderlings and a GREAT BLACK BACKED GULL.

Carre Hogle park had two adult BALD EAGLES on the breakwall. This was
really a treat as I rarely see Bald Eagles in Racine and they're usually
just flyovers. These two hung out on the break wall for at least a half
hour and we saw one fly over and scare up the gulls when we went to
Myers Park. (Looked for any unusual sparrows there, but only found Tree
Sparrows.)

Fun morning to be out as the winds pick up here near the lakefront!

I also had 17 Pine Siskins on the finch feeder this afternoon.

It will be fun to see what rarities may show up as the weather continues
to change.

Jenny Wenzel
Caledonia
Racine Co.