[wisb] Re: Racine Co. Lakefront & Portage County

  • From: Malcolm Gold <malcolmgold@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2011 18:17:14 -0500

Unfortunately I missed Jenny and the other birders, but also spent a few
hours birding the lakefront during the late morning hours on Friday.  Shoop
Park was the best of a handful of locations we checked (I had a nonbirding
college student with as and was able to discuss how identifying marks can
help determine species) with 3 SURF SCOTERS and 1 BARROWS GOLDENEYE being my
highlights.  Other species at Shoop Park included many Caspian Terns,
Re-breasted Mergansers, DC Comorants, and Ruby-crowned Kinglets.  A few
Mallards, Greater Scaup, Common Goldeneyes, Spotted Sandpiper, House and
Gold finches, cardinals, brown thrashers, song sparrows, YR warblers, BG
Gnatcathers, Belted Kingfisher, Hering, Ring-billed, and Bonaparte's Gulls
mixed in increased the variety of species and definitely got student more
interested in birding with the Bonaparte's gull being a good challenge for
him to identify with Sibley's guide.
On our way back to Marshfield he allowed me to stop at Harvey Rd and Goose
Pond in Portage County.  Blue-winged Teal, Ruddy Ducks, Ring-necked Ducks,
Wood Ducks, Gadwell, and Canada Geese increased the daily variety for my
passenger with lesser yellow legs being the only shorebird we found.

 Malcolm Gold (Marshfield, Wood County)
http://mcmdgold.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/malcolmgold/