[wisb] Re: RT Hummer continues.: South Milwaukee

  • From: Betsyacorn@xxxxxxx
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2013 23:27:59 -0400 (EDT)

She appears to be a very shy Ruby throated Hummingbird, and she did remain
for the day.  She has no interest in the three sugar feeders I put out, but
 takes a fancy to the various still-flowering plants including tomatoes out
 front.  She was briefly pursued by a neighbor's cat who was given a nice
hosing in response.  She is quite plump, and I do wonder about that as it
relates to her health.  Anyone have any thoughts about that?  Betsy  Abert,
So. Milwaukee

Didn't  get long enough looks to confirm ID of this brief visitor as it now

appears to have left.  A probable Ruby throated, it was refueling at  7:30
on a large annual salvia near my front stoop, and spent some  time around a

native aster before I could get my bins on it.  I  chose last night to
remove the feeders to clean, and saw the bird as  I was rinsing them in
preparation to refill this morning. With the  dog taking cover, I must've
left  skid
marks on the floor as I sped  to put them outside again.
The last two of the three late summer  resident hummers left on  Oct. 4th;
knew it wasn't one of them as  it showed little interest in the  feeders
which I had quickly placed  out near the salvia.  This salvia -  "Purple
Majesty", I think -  was a real magnet this year for both the hummers and
white
lined  sphinx moth.  At  5+ feet high and nearly as  wide, its size  and
prolific
flowering is due to having been brought  inside to  overwinter last Fall.
It looked pretty dead in the basement in   March, but watering and some
coffee
grounds brought it back to life. I  have  been trying to grow natives
primarily, but do add cultivars and  annuals that  might have their roots
in the
southern US and the   tropical Americas (Central and South).

Also, in the "Welcome to Winter  Dept.", I had my first Am Tree Sparrows
yesterday at South  Metro.  Still lots of Palms and YRumps, and a
relatively
steady  flow of Merlins along the upper bluff.

Betsy Abert, South  Milwaukee

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use  the Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn
Visit  Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at:  //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn