[wisb] RPT: Sharp-shinned Hawk in Medford (Taylor Co.)

  • From: "Gerald Robe" <geraldrobe@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisconsin Birdlist" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Feb 2011 14:03:19 -0600

Today while I was walking from the Medford Riverwalk along Allman Rd, I heard a
small bird making alarm calls from one of the side streets. I soon spotted the
cause for the alarm: there was a Sharp-shinned Hawk standing in the road,
drinking out of a puddle of melt-water!
I had my camera with me, and I managed to snap a few photos before the hawk saw
me and took off. Hereâ??s a link to my favorite of the group of photos I took:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50146049@N07/5422104193/

I wonder if this is the same bird that I saw at K-Mart the other day? Seems
likely, since itâ??s probably not a mile away from where I was today.

I also had a couple of other good sightings at the Riverwalk:

Red-breasted Nuthatch
Purple Finch (1 male & 1 female)

Gerald Robe
Medford, WI by way of Mt. Sterling, KY