[wisb] RFI: a few things

  • From: Chris West <little_blue_birdie@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "[Wisb]" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 12:04:39 -0500

Alyssa De Rubeis, Jenny Wenzel and Danny Akers and I will be doing a WI Big Day
on Sat.
In preparation, to nail down as many species as possible, I just had a few
questions on some of the tougher birds that hopefully some of you can answer:
Are there still nesting Red-necked Grebes near Necedah or Babcock? If so where?
I recall there being nesting Goshawks in central WI somewhere. Would anyone
happen to know where they are? (I swear this is for Big Day purposes only)
There are still Yellow Rails at Comstock no?  and are there any good spots for
King Rail near there?
Someone mentioned to me where the Arlington EC Doves are now (I think it was
John R?) Would you be so kind as to send me that again?
I'm not even going to ask about any spots for Long-eared Owl........
Any Carolina Wrens around between Necedah, Stevens Point and Horicon?
Has anyone had any Le Conte's Sparrows yet? I'm hoping they've just slipped in
under my nose......
Bobolinks I assume could be found at Buena Vista. Just wondering if there are
any reliable locations?
Are the Red-shouldered Hawks still on the nest at Iverson Park in Stevens
Point?
Has anyone been keeping tabs on the Avocet at Horicon?

Any other input or suggestions would be appreciated. :)

I know, this is sounding piecemeal and I haven't had much time or money to do
very much scouting, but we're gonna go for it and see what we come up with! :D

Thanks for your anticipated replies!!

Happy Birding! --Chris W, Richland County
http://swallowtailedkite.blogspot.com/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/swallowtailphoto

"The beauty and genius of a work of art may be reconceived, though its first
material expression be destroyed; a vanished harmony may yet again inspire the
composer; but when the last individual of a race of living things breathes no
more, another heaven and another earth must pass before such a one can be
again."

(From William Beebe's "The Bird: Its Form and Function," 1906)