[wisb] RFI: Door County Hawk Owl, Other Target Birds, and Driving Conditions

  • From: Jennifer Ambrose <jenthreat@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Birders <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Feb 2013 07:10:44 -0600

Hello everyone,
Some friends and I are thinking of going to Door County for the day
tomorrow to hopefully view the hawk owl, and I have a few concerns.

Hawk Owl:

1) Has anyone seen it since the snowstorm on Wednesday?

2) Can people tell me the various locations they've seen it in? I have been
following the reports pretty closely, and I know that it's often by a
certain intersection by a bakery (I will review the archives), and I saw
Dave Freriks' report, but if you have seen anywhere else, please let me
know.

Other Target Birds:

Here are some of the other birds we would like to see if possible. If
anyone has seen any of these birds in the past few days, or knows of
somewhat reliable places to look, please let me know (again, I will review
the archives, but sometimes it seems like people just drive around until
they notice birds in trees, which will make me crazy!!)

Evening and Pine Grosbeaks
Bohemian Waxwings
Gray Partridge
Redpolls/Crossbills (White-winged would be a lifer for me)
Longspurs/buntings

Driving Conditions:

1) I have a compact car (Toyota Yaris) and obviously can drive fine on Hwy
42/57, but is there anything I should know to be safe? Any roads really icy
or anything since the storm and freezing temperatures?

Thank you all SO much! I appreciate the quick feedback I receive from this
group--the comments in response to my RFI: Texas were very helpful!

--
Jennifer Ambrose
Bayview, Milwaukee County