[wisb] RB Grosbeak Vernon County

  • From: Jason Vidas <jasvidas@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 6 Jan 2010 15:12:09 -0800 (PST)

Male RB Grosbeak seen today at the junction of Star Valley Road and HWY 131
about 3 miles north of La Farge, WI.  Star Valley is the first road on the west
side of HWY 131 after you pass the Kickapoo Reserve Visitor Center).  It was
keeping company with a large flock of Blue Jays, Juncos, Woodpeckers,
Cardinals, and Tree Sparrows.

I originally saw it when I pulled onto Star Valley Road to go skiing.  I
noticed right away the strong black/white contrast in the flight feathers as it
flew to a tree and then saw the rosy breast.  Got great looks out my car window
from 15' and then went back home to fetch my point-and-shoot camera and binos.
I took about 50 pictures, most of them really poor, but a few capture the bird
well enough to identify.  Bird looked healthy overall - no vocalization.

It was also there as I left after skiing.  Beautiful sight with the white snow.

Jason Vidas
La Farge, WI