[wisb] Pyrrhuloxia spring fever

  • From: John Idzikowski <idzikoj@xxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 15 Apr 2011 11:44:58 -0500 (CDT)

The Pyrrhuloxia mentioned from 2005 showed up at a feeder in Franklin,
Milwaukee Co. and came with a pretty good doc for this species in spite of a
poor video. We looked around at other regional Pyrrhuloxia records and found a
least 2 from Ontario where they considered the species a very probably assist
via Mexican workers moving north. As many of you know "vendedor de pajaros" is
a common job in the markets throughout Mexico; trapping and selling of
non-migratory resident birds is unregulated and taken for granted by the
masses. No doubt there is a black market for these birds north of the border as
well.

At the same time that I was emailing the Ontario contacts about Pyrrhuloxias I
asked their opinion about the origins of the group of Eurasian species that
occurred in Wisconsin and the Midwest in the early 2000's. The circulating
back-story of a black market operation near Chicago that ended in a mass
release had/has become a virtual birding urban legend in Wisconsin. I had
contacted one of the owners of that operation and much to my surprise he
responded to my email and of course denied any such release. The Canadians felt
that the source of these birds could have been from a black market ship assist
that resulted in a release of these birds prior to a customs inspection.  The
market was enhanced by the large number of European immigrants settling in
Canada where familiar birds in strange places might be desired.

John Idzikowski
Milwaukee