[wisb] Re: Purple Gallinule sightings and some recent lakefront gulls

  • From: Sean Fitzgerald <sfitzgerald86@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 22:48:51 -0500

Well I would highly doubt this report of it running across Bell School Rd as
that road is over a mile away from the wetland where the bird has been on CTH
DD.  Additionally, there aren't any wetlands to speak of along Bell School Rd
for over a mile along it.  The large ag fields and weedy ditches would have to
suffice and I have a hard time believing this bird would leave the abundant
marsh system up and down Honey Creek and cut over open fields...  My best guess
about this report would be a Ring-necked Pheasant, which are present in the
area.  Apparently the bird has not been cooperative the second half of this
week.  I have been up north camping/birding, so apologies for the lack of
response to many who emailed me over the past few days.

Point Beach State Forest, Manitowoc, Two Rivers, and Milwaukee CGI were all
checked in the last few days.
Some of the highlights are detailed on my blog along with some photos of the
Little Gulls here:
http://midwestbirder.blogspot.com/
Point Beach State Forest yielded mostly common breeders (12 warbler species
along the bike trail from the park to Two Rivers and back).  I also kept an eye
on the gulls and terns moving past and was rewarded with a young Lesser
Black-backed Gull on the 10th.
Manitowoc Harbor was very nice and I saw both of the young Little Gulls as well
as three Aythya species, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck, and a White-rumped Sandpiper
on the 11th.
The Milwaukee CGI had just one Laughing Gull, a White-rumped and Semi Sandpiper
on the 12th.

I posted record shots of both the Little Gulls, Greater and Lesser Scaup, and
the Laughing Gull on my flickr and they are also tagged in the WI eBird flickr
pool: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sfitzgerald86/

I'm working extensively this weekend, but I will post if I see the gallinule
again.
Good birding.

Sean Fitzgerald
Honey Creek - Walworth Cty
sfitzgerald86@xxxxxxxxx

Subject: Re: Purple Gallinule sightings (or lack thereof)
From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel AT library.wisc.edu>

Date: Fri, 12 Jun 2009 10:13:52 -0500

Given how there don't seem to be any recent Purple Gallinule sightings,
I'll throw this bit of second-hand info out there:  when several of us
from the Madison area were there Wednesday evening, multiple drivers
stopped to ask what everyone was looking at.  We showed one person a
photo of a Purple Gallinule, and she excitedly said "I saw that bird -
it was running across Bell School Road!"  (Which is just north and west
of Honey Creek.)  She didn't specify where or when this was, and we
figured perhaps she had actually seen a Common Moorhen, but now I
wonder?  Given how many other wetlands there seem to be in that general
area, is it likely the bird could have relocated somewhere nearby?

Peter Fissel
Madison WI