[wisb] Pscho Gull. Milweaukee County

  • From: DAVID SNELL <dasnell3@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:34:19 -0700 (PDT)

Yesterday, while fishing at Hubbard park in Milwaukee, I heard a Kingfisher
screaming more loudly than the usual noisy chattering. As I looked in his
direction, I saw him rocketing toward me with a large, greyish gull hot in
chase and within 10 feet of the Kingfisher. I have little knowledge of gulls,
so I have no idea of the species. As they twisted and turned in unison at high
speed near me, I threw up my arms and shouted. The gull swung upward and the
Kingfisher gained distance and bolted away. The gull flew on but knew he lost
the chase. Within a couple of minutes, a king salmon swam by, splashing and
moving fast downstream, the gull was after  him and dove on him repeatedly . He
actually hit the water and dove his head under to attack the salmon. At one
point the bird landed on the salmon's back and hammered away with his bill. The
king found deeper water and slipped away after a chase of perhaps a half a
block and three to four minutes.
Never before have I seen such a display of aggression from gulls.

David Snell
Bayside WI