[wisb] Post Snow Birding - Middleton

  • From: "Mike McDowell" <birder@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 10:45:45 -0500

Lots of bird activity in snowy Pheasant Branch Conservancy this morning (the
snow is melting quickly, however). The large YELLOW-RUMPED WARBLER flock
remains (+100 birds), but I didn't find any PINE WARBLERS today. There was
one NORTHERN WATERTHRUSH and my first BLUE-GRAY GNATCATCHER of spring
migration. WHITE-THROATED and FOX SPARROWS were singing, as well as a BROWN
THRASHER at the last wooden bridge before Parmenter Street. There were a
couple of YELLOW-BELLIED SAPSUCKERS, one HOUSE WREN (singing), a RUSTY
BLACKBIRD, both RUBY-CROWNED and GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLETS.  The yellow-rumps
were observed eating dead insects on small frozen ponds. Kinglets were
finding bugs on honeysuckle. HERMIT THRUSHES were turning over leaves and
finding food. Living insects were available at bridges where EASTERN PHOEBES
and Yellow-rumps were foraging. A large group of Yellow-rumps were foraging
through the rocks under the Parementer Street bridge, just like this one I
took a video of during the bad weather on Saturday:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck44rt1DHYs

49 species entered into eBird for the outing.

Mike McDowell
Madison - Dane County
birder@xxxxxxx
www.birddigiscoper.com