[wisb] Pike after the rain

  • From: "Tom Schaefer" <schaefertrees@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 13 May 2009 14:36:35 -0500

WOW- I knew the park would eventually wake up.  After a 6+ mile walk I ended
with 80 spp.  Notable was 12 wood thrush and towhees galore.  Tennessee
warbler song deafening.  Ended the day with 23 warblers (3 prothonotary seen
at the Elmwood Road site).    At Pike I had ALMOST turned off trail to head
back but heard a din of birds ahead.  That din proved to be a full-on
ruckus.  Standing still on trail I had 15 warblers, the best by far was a
pair of ceruleans.  Continued the walk another 3 miles to try an add Acadian
flycatcher and pewee, but none were observed.  Many ovenbirds however.
Other new birds: philly vireo, Canada warbler, and bb cuckoo.

With the overcast and at times mist, birds were active and vocal past noon.

Tom Schaefer
Hartford
Washington County

To set DIGEST or VACATION modes, use Wisbirdn web interface at:
//www.freelists.org/list/wisbirdn.
Wisbirdn ARCHIVES at: //www.freelists.org/archives/wisbirdn.