[wisb] Photos: Weasel eating Snowshoe Hare

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2011 12:45:26 -0500

OK, so this isn't about birds but I believe most people on the list will enjoy
these photos. While doing some fieldwork on a remote road in Vilas County
yesterday, I happened upon a Weasel that was bounding around the shoulder of
the road. I stopped my car after it ran for cover and to my surprise, it came
back almost instantly. I soon noticed that the reason was that it had a
Snowshoe Hare carcass!! I have no idea if it killed the Hare or just found the
carcass somewhere, seems like a Hare would be big for them to kill but Weasels
are known as very formidable hunters so I suppose its possible. For the next
couple minutes I watched as the Weasel carried the Hare to cover which was
obviously a very laborious task because of the size of the carcass compared to
the size of the Weasel.

The Weasel was in transition from its white winter coat to its brown summer
coat. I believe it was a Long-tailed Weasel based on the size of the animal and
the length of its tail but I am not sure so please correct me if you think I'm
wrong. Here is a series of pictures as the event unfolded. Enjoy!

Next to the prize
http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/133955129

Time to start carrying it
http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/133955130
http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/133955123

Trying to find a way to get it over the log
http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/133955128

Almost there...
http://www.pbase.com/tprestby/image/133955126

Made it!