[wisb] Photos, Snowy Owls & Dunlin, Dike Rd, Horicon Marsh

  • From: Arlene Koziol <arlenekoziol@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 21:33:01 -0600

Dike Road, November 25, 8am-2pm. I had an outstanding opportunity to observe
and photograph a male and female Snowy Owls. They were perched on top of the
muskrat lodges-at times preening and yawning. Occasionally to the delight of
all the birders and photographers, the owls would fly from perch to perch.
Sometimes the flight was only inches off the cattail matts or water. The
highlight was the female forcing the male off a muskrat lodge. Their feet are
well feathered and stained red and brown around the talons.
I was surprised to see several small flocks of Dunlin[5-7] too.
Thanks to those who posted earlier this week about the Snowy Owls on Dike Road!

Below is a link to my photos

http://www.flickr.com/photos/29411257@N00/sets/72157628153887025/

Arlene Koziol
Arlingon Hts, IL