[wisb] Re: Photographing bird nests

  • From: "Kevin" <dkkearns@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'Wisconsin Birding Network'" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 May 2010 16:01:54 -0500

Growing up I was always told not to touch a birds nest or the parents would
abandon it. This is false obviously since the parents expend so much energy
in nest building, laying eggs, protecting the nest, and raising the chicks.
However, cats, raccoons, skunks, and probably other predators are attracted
to human scent and will usually take a quick detour to see what we find so
interesting. If we are visiting a nest, this would quite possibly make it
much easier for the predator to find a nest that might have otherwise been
concealed and safe.

Kevin kearns
Neenah