[wisb] Peculiar Waterfowl Observations

  • From: "Pastor Al Schirmacher" <pastoral@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mou-net@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <mnbird@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <BIRDCHAT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 10:15:57 -0500

Stop regularly at a temporary ag pond this time of year, since interesting
waterfowl have been known to show up.  However, the last few days, I've
begun to wonder what is in the water.

1) While scoping through geese, hoping for something beyond the omnipresent
Canadas, one Canada did a forward roll in the water.  As in a somersault.
From a still position, not landing.  Must admit, first for me in 18 years of
birding.

2) While scoping through mallards and ring-necked (at perhaps 800 yards at
50-60x), observed a mallard-sized duck with dark (black or very dark brown)
head, brownish red breast/upper abdomen and a full whitish crescent in the
uppertail coverts area.  The male mallards' green heads were easily
distinguished around it, as were the ring-neckeds head shapes (neither fit).
And I have no clue what to do with the full crescent.  Hybrid?

Good birding to all!

Al Schirmacher
Princeton, MN
Mille Lacs & Sherburne Counties