[wisb] Parking at Picnic Point (UW-Madison campus)

  • From: "Peter A. Fissel" <pfissel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisconsin Birding Network <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2012 11:58:29 -0600

A few of you may be aware that the university recently started charging
for parking during the day at the two lots near the base of Picnic Point
(including the Class of 1918 Marsh lot.)  The stated reason is that
staff and students were using the lots as free parking during the day,
while they took the free campus bus to work or class.

As I understand it, this is enforced from 7:00 a.m. until 5:00 p.m.,
Monday-Friday, and costs quite a bit (on the order of $2/hour.)  This is
supposedly a "trial" period.  While weekend field trips won't be
affected, anyone wanting to bird there during the week will need to pony
up or get ticketed.  I'm told that Gary Brown, the Lakeshore Preserve
director, has only gotten two comments so far.  If you would like to
make your feelings known on this issue, his email address is:

gbrown@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Peter Fissel
Madison, Dane Co.