[wisb] Parasitic Jaeger Bradford Beach Milwaukee 9/19/14, some images

  • From: Jim Edlhuber <jimedlhuber@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 19 Sep 2014 20:11:09 -0500

Hi all,
I made a run down to Bradford Beach about 10:00 am. I did a little looking
around and all that was present were 5 Sanderlings and 100 plus or minus
gulls coming and going. Jym M showed up and we met Spencer on the beach. We
were just doing some bird talk, talked some on Jaegers and could they show
up there at the beach etc. Out from nowhere Jym says, Jaeger, Jaeger,
jumping up and down. I thought he was seriously pulling our legs as we were
just talking about them. Moments later I realize it was no joke! We stood
back and watched this cool bird which I think is a juvenile cruise around
the beach area and some over the water trying to get a few shots to take
home. We thought it was going to land on the beach, finally it did. Just
for a moment, it looked around and off it went. It started heading north
and it took a left at north point out of sight. We looked at the beach, it
was unreal, there was no bird to be found anywhere, no gulls, no nothing!
We were lucky that Jym knows what to look for in a Jaeger, a big thanks to
him! It was a life bird and Spencer and I. We could have maybe missed the
big event if Jym was not present as when the bird first came in off the
lake it went right over us, circled above us, before it did some loops on
the beach cruising, brief stop and then gone. Beautiful day to be out
birding and it will be one of those birding days we will never forget!

Images from today at the link below if you care to view them:

http://www.windowtowildlife.com/parasitic-jaeger-bradford-beach-milwaukee-wisconsin-september-19-2014/

Thanks and good birding,

Jim Edlhuber

Town of Genesee Waukesha Co.