[wisb] PACIFIC LOON Oconto harbor Oconto Co

  • From: "Kay Kavanagh" <kkav@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Wisbirdn" <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 2011 08:14:46 -0600

Yesterday I found a juvenile Pacific Loon right in the harbor at Oconto.  I
enjoyed absolutely great looks for over 30 minutes as it leisurely toured the
inside harbor. Then after looking at all the other waterfowl I refound it at
the entrance of the harbor associating with a few Red-breasted Mergansers.
This sighting is the closest and longest one that I have ever had of this
species.  Although it fed occasionally, it spent most of my viewing time
resting on the surface.
Other highlights were hundreds of Tundra Swans at multiple locations all along
the western shore of Green Bay, 14 species of ducks, dozens of Horned Grebes at
many stops along the shore, and White-winged Crossbills at Oconto Marsh.  At
Communiversity Park on the eastern shore of Green Bay there was a line of
probable scaup perhaps a mile offshore.  I suspect that among the over 4000
birds several scoters were lurking.

Kay Kavanagh
Aurora  Florence Co