[wisb] Ozaukee/Milwaukee Counties today

  • From: tom prestby <jjprestby@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Wisbird <wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Nov 2011 19:48:04 -0600

ýSean Fitzgerald and I had a very fun day of birding Ozaukee and Milwaukee
County. Luckily for us, the heavy rain held off until late afternoon. We
started at the Broad-billed Hummingbird location in Mequon and while waiting
for the hummingbird to show, noticed that some chickadees, nuthatches, and
juncos were extremely agitated. We thought there was probably an owl and after
a little scanning of the conifers, Sean spotted the face of a Saw-whet Owl in
one of the front trees. We got the scope on it and had a great view. It made
the wait for the hummingbird a lot shorter, by the way Ms. Broad-billed came to
the front feeder twice within the hour we were there. Thanks again to the
homeowners for hosting all of us birders!

At Concordia we found the Inca Dove in the cedars surrounding the shed. A raft
of about 30 Long-tailed Ducks was quite a ways out.

Next, we did a short lakewatch at Harrington Beach for the rest of the late
morning. In the two hours we were there the highlights were 7 Red-throated
Loons (a couple of which were very close), 4 White-winged Scoters, 4 Black
Scoters, a Red-necked Grebe, and 9 Long-tailed Ducks. Port Washington had an
adult Glaucous and Great Black-backed Gull but not much for waterfowl.

Virmond Park was pretty quiet and North Point in Milwaukee continues to hold
Surf and Black Scoters which were very close to shore. We couldn't find the
Harlequin Duck.
Tom PrestbyMilwaukee