[wisb] Over 100 Bald Eagles at Lock & Dam 4 in Alma (Buffalo County)

  • From: Heidi Hughes <hvhughes@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: wisbirdn@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 3 Dec 2010 16:42:44 -0600

I drove down the Mississippi River from Nelson to Alma today to see if
the Tundra Swans I'd seen over the weekend were still sitting on the
ice.  They were gone.  The backwaters are frozen over.  Ice-fishing
season has begun.

I spotted several Red-tailed Hawks perched on utility poles along
Great River Road, a Rough-legged Hawk at Tell Farm (State Rd 37), a
Harrier on County Road II and more than 100 Bald Eagles - loafing on
the ice, on nests (in and around Riecks Lake), flying overhead,
fishing, hassling the gulls at the Lock & Dam and perched in trees.  I
was pleasantly surprised by the number of eagles and all the action.

If you go, stop in at Wings Over Alma Nature & Art Center (on Main
Street in Alma) to warm up and watch eagles (hundreds of gulls and
birds at their feeders) from the indoor comfort of their river-view
windows.  They are in the process of up-linking a web camera -
focusing on the open water at the Lock & Dam.

HV Hughes
Pepin County

http://www.hybridbirder.blogspot.com